Saturday, July 9, 2011
The Gassville Cemetery is owned and maintained by the City of Gassville
The large Gassville Cemetery is located at the intersection of U. S. Highway 62 and Church Street in Gassville. The cemetery is sort of divided into three sections, the oldest of which is on the East side closest to the Gassville Baptist Church. The newest section is on the West side along North Johnson Street. Known burials date from the late 1800's, but there are probably earlier graves here as well. Many stones in the oldest section are unreadable. The cemetery is maintained by the City of Gassville, which is also responsible for the sale of cemetery lots. Cemetery records are kept on file in the Recorder-Treasurer's Office at the City Hall, however no records exist for the oldest section. The oldest records only date back to 1940.
Sign and Arch for the Gassville Cemetery, found at the oldest section
The newest section of the cemetery, on the
West side of N. Johnson St.
A view of the middle area of the cemetery
A view of the oldest section of the cemetery
Gravestone and burial site of Eugene Mooney,
a former Sheriff of Baxter County, killed in the
line of duty, October 5, 1907.
Gravestone and burial site of James Sell, a
Gassville Police Officer killed in the line of duty,
February 4, 2006.